Friday, September 18, 2009

Interesting.



I got word a few weeks ago that Rome or/and Transworld photoshopped their "Team Shoot Out" cover.
For what reason? I don´t know.

But I just watched Videograss where LNP has a part and saw the video footage. And yes, the cover was obviously photoshopped. Isn´t there an ethical rule to altering photos that run in magazines? I thought there was (at least in Sweden), but I guess this is just like touching up Gisele´s body. Except someone put a logo on a container.
Amusing imho.

Or was in Scott Serfas (the photographer) who was behind it all? Maybe he got some free hot dogs?


I know I´d would put a Taco Bell, Chipotle, Baja Fresh, Rubio´s, Barbacoa or La Salsa logo in a shot if I got free food.
What´s up Slake, why no free mexi food in return for logos on our DC shoot?

According to NPPA:
- Editing should maintain the integrity of the photographic images' content and context. Do not manipulate images or add or alter sound in any way that can mislead viewers or misrepresent subjects.
- Do not accept gifts, favors, or compensation from those who might seek to influence coverage.
- Any change to a news photo - any violation of that moment - is a lie. Big or small, any lie damages your credibility.


On the other hand some major magazines has done similar things before.. so I guess there are no ethics.
Check article here:
http://nppa.org/professional_development/self-training_resources/eadp_report/digital_manipulation.html
And here:
http://nppa.org/professional_development/self-training_resources/eadp_report/ethics.html


I did just get a response from the Rome team director which answered my questions about this amusing hot dog matter.
Transworld used Rome to get free hot dogs. Too funny.
Hopefully Transworld won´t be too upset about me writing about this manner, they gave me the material. Not like it´s not newsworthy.



So I guess Meg got the hot dogs, end of story:

1 comment:

Konrad said...

Väldigt olika från land till land vad som är tillåtet för journalistiskt foto men betydligt friare regler runt kommersiella foton
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bildjournalistik#Etiska_och_juridiska_.C3.B6verv.C3.A4ganden
Men sen beror ju allt på vilken deal de har med fotografen, han kanske har sålt den vidare??

Dock finns ju alltid upphovsrätten
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipediadiskussion:Upphovsr%C3%A4tt#Bilder_och_etik