Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Fucking music industry.


Here we go again... music rights for snowboard videos..

I´m editing some clips and obviously need some nice tunes to go with the footage. But this is such a fucking headache.
It´s always been like this too. Mostly the labels/publishers want too much money or they aren´t into it.

When I grew up, most of my friends only listened to music we found in skate/snowboard videos. Even in recent history I must say that whatever we used in the Robot Food movies, or what was in the other videos, Forum, Mack Dawg, Absinthe etc end up in A LOT of peoples ipods. Why wouldn´t the labels/publishers want hundred of thousands of people (who happen to snowboard) between 12-35 to hear their music? I don´t get it.

The artists on the other hand are usually more into participating and over the years I´ve had to post quicktimes online for them to watch and personally approve (David Lynch, Iron Maiden, Weezer etc).
I respect that the musicians are protective of their music and would want to see what their work is used for. But then there are the labels/publishers... omfg...

Here´s an email I got today from a smaller band that I´ve been keen on using for over a year:
Hey Pierre
Mr "-X-" Just got back to me regarding the "-X- band". He said I will have to get licenses from four different labels in order to license the track for world (which we need), and he doesn’t think the labels will find the fee offered worth the paperwork.


Mother F--ker!

3 comments:

maggie.01 said...

that fucking sucks. and i must say, that having Shazam on my iphone makes it even easier to find out what song is playing. just saw Neverland, Shazamed pretty much every song, and paid to download them all.

corporate executives have zero creativity are probably completely incapable of imagining what you do and how it could be beneficial to their artist.

BaseNZ.com said...

so true, they just don't get it. They should be paying you to put tracks in. Check out RIP: A Remix Manifesto for a great doco on music copyright. If in doubt use Girl Talk mash ups, they'll never get you for that stuff.

Anonymous said...

girl talk is great, but not for snowboardmovies. hehe. its a fucked up industry.