Monday, January 12, 2009

My kind of wedding


Weddings is America are a big deal.
You need to be married before you have a baby and preferably before you buy a home together.
Whereas is Sweden I don´t know ANYONE (of my generation) who got married before they had a baby (actually I do, sorry T & T).
We´re talking like 50 couples with kids and 3-4 of those are married, but after they had a kid.

If I ever get married I would love to serve mexican food as latenight snacks, like after midnight when people are pretty buzzed.
Ideally it would be catered by Taco Bell, cause for anyone who knows me know I dig The Bell. Other franchise mexi joints are kind of better, but Taco Bell has more history with me. But enough about planning my wedding..

Here are a couple who took it a step further:
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/index.php?cl=11498446

In swedish here.

Sure it´s a bit extreme, but so is paying $28,732 for one (average cost of an american wedding) and that doesn´t include rings or the honeymoon, that´s on average another $7,900.
And average american couple makes $55,000 a year, combined, and the bride is, on average, 26 and the groom 28.
Wow. I mean.., why? Why take a loan (cause that´s what a lot of couples do) for 20-50k for a wedding? Why?
Imagine what the spend if they make $200,000 per year!

To almost any swede this is hard to grasp. But on the other end it seems like swedes marry when they want to, not when our parents think we should.

Don´t get me wrong I like weddings (only been to, hmm 2.5) I´m just not into pleasing old conservative people instead of thinking about your own life/choices.

Your typical swedish couple lifestyle is frowned upon by most americans over the age of, say 50.
They think we are such sinners, sleeping together, living together, having babies etc out of wedlock.
I for one don´t see what they (old fashioned american folks) get so upset about.. their kids are more than likely going to divorce their spouse anyway.. (more than 65% of marriages in Souther California end in divorce).

Gosh I want Taco Bell now..

Here are some interesting links if you want to calculate your wedding costs:
http://www.costofwedding.com
http://www.nmplanner.com/uploads/2008_Wedding_Stats.doc

Doesn´t this look awesome?

No comments: